Summer Garden Cake
October 10, 2011 § Leave a comment
I currently have an out of control summer garden that includes several overgrowing zucchini plants. I have grilled, steamed, broiled, and sautéed zucchini all summer long….
With three zucchini plants still rapidly growing in early fall, I wanted to try a new recipe. I initially thought of making a zucchini cake similar to carrot cake, but after searching online for recipes, I found something better…A Chocolate Zucchini Cake! I found this particular recipe from simplyrecipes.com, which I adapted a little and omitted the nuts.
The cake is beautiful in the bundt form with glaze dripping down the sides. It is decadent without being overly sweet and the zucchini makes it the most MOIST cake I have ever had. Ingredients
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coco powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini, undrained
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.
- With a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until they are smooth. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a spoon, stir in the vanilla and zucchini.
- Alternately stir the dry ingredients and the milk into the zucchini mixture.
- Pour the batter into a greased bundt pan. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; turn out on wire rack to cool thoroughly.
- For the glaze, whisk ingredients together until smooth and can easily be drizzled. Add more milk to thin if needed.
- Drizzle glaze over cake.