Banana Crumb Muffins
October 13, 2011 § 2 Comments
As I write this, I am drinking my morning coffee and nibbling on one of these crumbly muffins. While not totally a complete breakfast, it sure makes a good one!
I buy bananas with the intention of making a super healthy post workout smoothie, however, I somehow always end up with bananas that are turning overly ripe. hmmm, what’s a girl to do? I don’t want the bananas to go to waste…
I turned those browning bananas into these crumbly and moist muffins. The muffins are not overly sweet, but the brown sugar streusel on top adds the perfect amount of sweetness.
BANANA NUT MUFFINS WITH STREUSEL TOPPING
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 overly ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- Grease a 12 compartment muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Make sure to grease the top of the muffin tin so the tops of the muffins do not stick. Place paper muffin liners into each of the compartments and set aside.
- In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. In another separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- In about 1/3 cup increments, alternately add the flour mixture and milk mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Repeat until all of the ingredients are used.
- Fold in the walnuts and bananas. The batter should be lumpy, thick, and moist. Add a little more milk if necessary. Do not over mix!
- For the streusel topping, place all ingredients into a bowl and crumble with your fingers until the butter is in very small pieces.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins, filling them almost to the top. Place about 1 tablespoon of streusel on top of each muffin. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.