A Healthy Meal Full of Fall Vegetables
October 15, 2011 § 5 Comments
The melt in your mouth sweet potatoes, nutty mushrooms, and earthy sautéed kale are combined with quinoa and a hint of spicy chili flakes. This dish leaves you feeling full and energized! This is also a completely vegan and gluten-free dish that is packed full of protein, antioxidants, and vitamins.
Fall weather brings seasonal vegetables like sweet potatoes and kale. This is a nutritious, satisfying, and tasty fall dish!
SWEET POTATOES, KALE, AND MUSHROOMS TOSSED WITH QUINOA
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil or olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup (8 ounces) sliced button mushrooms
- 2 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves cut into 2 inch pieces
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the sweet potatoes and mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add more oil if necessary.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the wine cook for about 1 minute until the wine has reduced.
- Add the stock, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add the kale and cook for about 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- To serve, toss the quinoa with the vegetable mixture.